Friday, August 28, 2009

Flotsam -All the time in the world


This morning, a Saturday, I took 12 hours off from the world, away from life, I turned off, tuned out and dropped out.It was a harder process than you'd think, to disconnect, to disengage, to walk away.

Like a smoker, I fought myself all the way, I switched off my mp3 player, my inner voice whining 'not that!

How can you function without theme music?' 3,000 songs, 60 I listen to, the rest like dusty butterflies pinned to a board.

Off with my phone, 'what if someone needs me?, what if work needs me?' I fought back a guilty feeling as I deleted my phones divert settings, no voicemail should steal back these hours upon my return. 'Won't they worry? isn't this rude?'

I felt lighter already, these simple actions were hard to do, but the next, the last few tasks before i left, they wer
e the worst, i emptied my pockets, 'but I might need to buy something? An emergency? Maybe?

'Money, all sizes & colours scattered across the floor (although to be honest, I never end up using the little brown ones, i just gather them somehow ) but the big ones, the notes, the card's, whew!

It was a tear to leave them, the reliable fiver & €20's, the 'sort anything' lasercard, all the fixit's, all dumped unceremoniously on the table, I didn't even notice the airy feeling beneath my feet, until I had to pull myself hand over hand gliding towards the door, through the door, dropping my key in the windowbox. I now had nothing to lose (literally) no responsibility, no ability even to answer anyone elses needs, care.... Free, 9 again?

A gust of wind lifted & tumbled me away, towards the park & the woods, the breezes guiding me through flower's & butterflies, like an intrepid explorer, I traced the source of a stream, I found an interesting pebble, a birds nest, a hoofprint, I poked stuff with a stick & when I eventually returned, grazed, grimey, sore but refreshed,the mannicles of life around me again, weighing me down .

A text, like a toad blinked at me -a meeting next sat, am I on? but i think I'll be busy, I'll be building a fort!

No comments: